Nicola Gouldsmith and Jacqueline Mann run arts and crafts emporium Halfpenny Home in Suffolk and have recently released a book, A Green Guide to Country Crafts featuring 35 of their favourite projects and hobbies. From unwanted or unloved items they teach you how to create something beautiful. Bunting from old shirts, a bag from faded floral fabrics or a windbreaker from old jeans. I was surprised to find that the book had projects for new and old crafters alike without having a big gulf between the projects. As crafters they’re giving you skills not just projects.
They guide you through various different kinds of soap making (including making lye) for different hair and skin types, different methods of natural dying and candle making from the basics through to beeswax candles and pinecone firelighters. My particular favourite project was the vintage sundae dish candles, with second hand sundae dishes and other glassware so cheap in charity shops and bootsale they make the perfect green gift or wedding reception decoration.
I find some craft books quite exclusive, I’m an experienced crafter and yet they put me off, so goodness knows how new or less experienced crafters feel. The beauty of this book is it would appeal to crafters with limited experience whilst having ideas and techniques fresh enough to appeal to old time crafters. The projects are not only friendly to the planet but also to your purse. The only problem that I have with the book is wanting to share it with all of my friends but also wanting to keep it secret enough to make and give them all gifts from the projects without them knowing. The ladies from Halfpenny Home and Cico Books are offering a copy of the book to one of my readers. Follow the steps below to be in with a chance of winning.
To enter you must –
1. Follow or subscribe to this blog and leave a comment on this post (please leave your email address or make sure you are easily contactable through your profile.)
Bonus entries –
2. Tweet ‘I want to win @halfpennyhome ‘s A Green Guide to Country Crafts on @athriftymrsuk ‘s’
3. Mention and link to this giveaway on your blog (feel free to use an image from this post.)
Leave a separate comment for each bonus entry.
The rules and shiz –
– This giveaway is open to those in the UK only.
– Each bonus entry requires as separate comment and completion of step 1.
– I will contact the winner straight after the name has been drawn if I am unable to contact or hear back from the winner in 2 weeks I reserve the right to redraw.
– The giveaway closes at 13:00 (GMT) Saturday 16th July.
– The winner will be drawn at random with the aid.