Mayonnaise Hair Treatment – A Thrifty Mrs

mayo hair conditioner
So this morning I decided to slap some mayo on my hair, nope I haven’t gone mad it was purely scientific because I was trying to see if mayonnaise hair treatments really work and I can’t really tell the good readers of A Thrifty Mrs it works if I haven’t tried it out. Ever since I used egg as hair conditioner a few months back, I’ve been intrigued by the idea of trying out mayonnaise in a similar fashion. My hair is very dry and frizzy (as you can see in the photo above), the medication for my illness coupled with spending lots of time in bed recovering means my hair is often matted and very difficult to control. Various treatments and conditioners are a big part of my hair care regime.

It’s pretty easy really, all you need is some mayo, a shower cap and your hair (wuh really?)
Apply the mayonnaise to dry hair and leave for around 25-30 minutes wrapped up in either clingfilm or a shower cap. Rinse out and shampoo as normal.

I actually really liked how my hair felt afterwards. Rather than the usual dry mess it can be – it was glossy, free of frizz and shiny looking plus the ends felt nourished and cared for. I can see myself using this mask treatment once a week to give it shine and badly needed hydration. I used light mayo mainly because I don’t eat it and it is all Mr Thrifty buys but I think next time I’ll try out the full fat version – I’ll be sure to let you know if I notice a difference.

I made a video documenting the process from start to finish whilst giving a lot more waffle detail (above) if you can’t view the embedded version click here to watch the video on YouTube.

TTFN,
photo.JPG

P.S. Let me know if you give it a whirl – mainly so I can laugh at someone else with mayo on their head.

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Twitter Follow on Pinterest A Thrifty Mrs UK Instagrams Thrifty Telly aka YouTube

Comments

1. I’ve tried egg before and actually ended up with scrambled egg in my hair…no joke! Won’t be trying this though, as the smell of mayo makes me need to vom! x

• Anonymous says:

i tried eggs before and the same thing happened to me .. so I TRIED MAYO, the smell is… disgusting and i wasn’t gonna continue.. but i did… and u’ll be surprised with the results !! i swear i don’t see my self using anymore hair products , my frizz is tamed my hair is sooo soft my ends are alot better now and i used to have damaged curly hair now i have healthy beautiful curls !!! do try it, i had to rinse it twice the first time tho however , it did not leave smell i only washed it twice cuz it felt greasy..

• Anonymous says:

It’s because you have to rinse the egg out with cold water

• Anonymous says:

Using mayo in ur hair really does work. The first time i tried it was on my nieces hai when she had head lice. It worked. It left her hair looking healthier and shiny.

2. What a fab idea, go you :)

Sophierosehearts x

3. I’ve never tried mayo but it sounds like it’s worth a go! Have you ever tried the process with olive oil? If I know I’m not going anywhere on a particular day, I sometimes put olive oil through my hair, then just tie it up or put it in a bun and forget about it for a few hours. Wash out as normal and, it seems to always leave my hair feeling really conditioned. A couple of years ago on my birthday a very lovely friend booked me into a fancy salon for a new hairstyle, and it was that salon that recommended the olive oil treatment to me so I tried it out and haven’t looked back! <3

4. Not sure about mayo but I’ll try olive oil.

5. I do a similar thing, but with coconut oil- it’s also dirt cheap (about £1.50 in Superdrug) It has the same effect, but makes your hair smell of holidays!

6. Wow, I may have to try this! But I also will probably have to peg my nose and do it with closed eyes as I can imagine myself not liking the smell or thought at all haha. But anything in the name of lovely hair!! I may have to try the olive oil one too :)

Charlotte
    xox

7. I’ve never thought to put mayo on my hair, I’m guessing it does the same as what egg does? Sounds a bit cheaper though, and slightly less messy :)
    Daniella x

8. My frizzy mane loves Jasmine oil, you can get big 750ml bottles from most Asian shops for about £2.99 and it lasts for ages, you also smell of Jasmine :)

9. You should try sleeping with a braid :) It means the hair won’t rub against all sorts of things when you are lying down, and it means less frizzy hair. If you’re lucky it may even go all wavy and nice.
    ASDA also have this wonderful serum which is quite cheap (in keeping with the whole frugalness)This may, or may not, be a working link to what I am talking about:

10. I’ve tried olive and sunflower oil. My hair was previously very chemically and heat damaged, and leaving it overnight really moisturised my hair! Never tried mayo though, may have to give it a try :)

11. Might try this out! Superdrug coconut oil (solid, in white tub) is also fantastic. Only £2 and lasts for ages.

12. Oh I use this every other week and love it. Its the best deep conditioner ever.

13. One of my friends tried this a few weeks ago and I was wondering what it actually did! Thanks for this. Think I might try it and get a bowl of chips ready for while i wait! :)

Endometriosis my life with you

14. Oohh! Liking this!

15. This will make you laugh – decided as I have the day off I’ll have a decadent morning bath and did a mayo treatment with carrier bag over it, instead of cling film as it’s easier for me to deal with!- I looked very individual! Can’t believe the result thought – it’s brought out the shine and colour! I don’t have very frizzy hair, but even I noticed the improvement!
    Thanks as always Thrifty!
    Zoe

16. Interesting idea, as I’m reading this I’m soaking my hair in my own hair mixture.
    2 tea spoons honey, 1 tee spoon olive oil, warm up and slapp into slightly wet hair (makes it easier to distribute)
    Wash out some hours later (the longer the better).
    It makes the ends of my hair feel better, so I can keep off the much dreaded visit at the hairdresser for another couple of weeks.

17. I haven’t tried home made hair masks before, it sends me into fits of giggles thinking about people putting mayo on their hair!!

Kitty x

18. Hello Mrs. Thrifty! I just found your blog via Essie Button and I’m really liking it! I don’t think I’ll be putting mayo on my hair as my hair pretty oily as it is, but I think I may have a tip for you. You can make your own mayo by putting 1 egg yolk in a blender, blend it for a few seconds to one minute until the consistency has changed and become completely smooth and color uniform, and then drizzle in oil very slowly in short bursts through your blender’s pour-in spot. Thin the mixture by drizzling in water if you prefer. This way, you avoid putting other ingredients in mayonnaise like flavorings since your hair doesn’t need it. I’ve made homemade mayo before and it’s great bec you can control what you put in.

19. how often can you do this? putting mayo in your hair.

20. How often can you do this? putting mayo in your hair. Can you only do it once a month? every 2 weeks? every week? im about to do it! :)

21. how often can you do this? putting mayo in your hair.

22. Grapeseed oil is also very effective. Just add the same amount as you would any other hot oil treatment, massage starting from the roots to the scalp. Let it stay on for 30 minutes to an hour, wash and style as usual.

23. Anonymous says:

I’ve done mayo treatments most of my life and i love it. I have the really healthy hair because of it. My hair is extremely long ( almost to my knees) and salons are just too expansive because of it. I highly recommend doing mayor treatments. If your hair is really damaged or dry you could do it up to twice a week until your hair is healthy again but after awhile you can do it a or less. I do mine maybe every few months. It’s also great if you have kids and they catch lice, just add a little bit of vinegar with it. It will kill the bugs and loosen them from the hair.

24. I have heard so much about putting mayo on hair but i have never tried it. I am thinking of trying it now since I am having problems with my drying hair.

25. Anonymous says:

I just recently tried this last month and loved it! Doesn’t smell so pleasant using Mayo but works wonders! Matter of fact, I intend on adding a tablespoon of olive oil to my Mayo mixture today…:)

26. Anonymous says:

I am using the mayo right now. I have tried it before and love it. I did try adding a tsp of vanilla this time due to the smell and am very happy so far. I also use a plastic grocery bag tied in the back instead of the shower cap.

27. how often should i apply this?

28. i use it, too. But i wonder how often should i apply it in a week? feels like doing it everytime i’m free :) never mind the smell.

29. how often should i apply this?

30. Anonymous says:

Im doing my mayo treatment right now. I tried the egg and olive oil and coconut oil. That egg treatment did not work I have very brittle damaged hair and just made it worse for me. I know this mayo will work cause it has to. My daughter has eczema and we used it 20 mins before her bath to get rid of her dry skin and it works!!! I cant wait to see my results such positive feed back… makes me want to have a sandwhich while I wait lol

31. Anonymous says:

Please do not use olive oil!! I’m a hair stylist we use olive oil to strip hair when hair coloring is too dark

32. Have you tried any natural oils for your hair like jojoba oil for example? They are very nourishing, too.

33. Wow that’s a great idea..I have to try it out definitely, thanks a lot!

34. My hair is bleached and it is elbow length. My ends are fried and dry. I really did not want to cut it bcoz it looks gorgeous but dehydrated. After I tried the mayonnaise treatment it made hell lot of a difference from the first use. My ends used to end tangled badly and break off. After the treatment, it still does tangle but it is softer, shiner and tangling and hair fall has reduced by like 70%. It is a great over the counter, cheap and natural treatment. I really do recommend its usage by all types of hair. The video was very helpful <3. Thanks loads!

35. Anonymous says:

I went to cosmetology school in Kentucky and in the first month they had us doing mayo treatments on each other, they really do work! Something to help with the smell is vanilla extract, mix the mayo and vanilla prior to applying to hair.