My lovely in laws recently came to visit and off-loaded lots of rhubarb from their garden, which excited me no end. It meant Mr Thrifty had to make his famous Rhubarb and Ginger Upside Down Cake. Oh God, yes! Apparently Aldi currently have rhubarb in stock at bargain prices so if you don’t have any family to give it to you, you can still pick up some well priced nom-ness.
Be warned, when this is very hot it doesn’t look the most attractive but as it cools and the pink colour returns to the rhubarb it looks much nicer.
Rhubarb & Ginger Upside-Down Cake
- 170g unsalted butter
- 175g demerara sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self flour
- 150g of stewed rhubarb
- 1 tbsp of ground ginger
1. Preheat your oven to 180c.
2. Cream the butter and demerara sugar together until fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs.
4. Fold in the flour and ginger.
5. Pour the stewed rhubarb into an 8inch oven-proof glass (or similar) dish.
6. Spoon the flour mixture over the top and level off.
7. Bake for 45mins.
8. Allow to cool for for a few mins.
9. Turn upside down and serve with custard. Personally I like it best cold, without custard.
P.P.S. Thanks Mr Thrifty, you sexy tasty food maker.