Old tooth brushes are one of my favourites items in my cleaning arsenal. There are endless uses for old toothbrushes in and around the home and you’re saving a good chunk of money on cleaning products by repurposing something you already have. We try to keep up to date with changing our toothbrushes – I even mark a date on mine (if I remember) with permanent marker to remind me to start using a new one, so we have a regular supply for reusing elsewhere.
Before reusing a toothbrush I leave them to soak in a sink of hot water with a cap full of bleach or a solution of 50/50 white vinegar and water for a couple of hours. Then rinse and leave to air out and dry.
15 USES FOR OLD TOOTHBRUSHES
1. An old tooth brush is perfect for cleaning the grime filled spots around taps. How do they get so dirty so fast? Wet the area with white vinegar and get straight in there with the tooth brush for a good scrub.
2. Do you like to grate garlic? You may find your grater can get a bit pongy. Enter an old toothbrush and some bicarbonate of soda. Dip the toothbrush into the bicarb and scrub across the grater in circular motions. Rinse thoroughly et voila all smells gone.
3. Remove mud from the tread of shoes.
4. An old toothbrush is perfect for cleaning computer keyboards.
5. Give the bristles on brushes and teeth on combs a good scrub with an old toothbrush when you come to cleaning them.
6. Soften your old toothbrush with hot water and soap and lightly rub over a splinter. It should very gently bring it to the surface.
Uses for old toothbrushes
7. Keep your lips buffed up and kissable by sloughing off any rough or dead skin with an old toothbrush.
8. They’re very handy for cleaning fiddly bits in slatted blinds or even curtain rings or tracks which can easily get dusty or gungy.
9. Old toothbrushes make for a very handy nail brush. I keep one in my gardening kit for just this purpose.
10. An very slightly damp toothbrush is perfect for cleaning delicate jewellery.
11. Get the grout between your bathroom or kitchen tiles gleaming with an old toothbrush…it’s strangely satisfying too. Just don’t scrub too hard on or near the sealant because it could break.
12. They’re perfect for cleaning bike chains. Mr Thrifty always seems to have one on him for getting his bike back to good health.
13. We keep one handy for cleaning out our fish tank or any of the fish tank ‘furniture.’
14. You know the hinges on your toilet seat? It’s a grim place to clean but a toothbrush makes it easier to get shiny and clean.
15. Keep an old tooth brush on hand for spot cleaning stains and spills on clothes or around the house.